Sunday, January 27, 2013

You are a Child of God






"For you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus"                                                           - Galatians 3:26 -



It was 7:30 am on February 7, 1993. I was an excited and anxious sixteen-year-old boy standing immersed to the chest in cold water. One of my pastors who was standing with me in this huge tank filled with water looked at me in my eye and said that I am a child of God, forgiven and accepted and then he proceeded to baptize me in front of my family and friends. This moment of identifying with the death and resurrection of Jesus and being affirmed as a child of God is one of the most significant moments in my life.


In spite of this memorable event, there have been countless times over the last twenty years when I doubted if I was really a child of God.  Some of them stemmed out of my own frustration with my behaviours and some were dictated by others opinion about me. Instead of taking God at his word and living as a child of God I succumbed to the doubts and often performed before God and people to win their approval and acceptance.

In the letter to the Galatian Christians Paul asks them to trust in what Jesus had done for them and not in what they were doing for Jesus. He reminded them clearly that any one who puts their faith in the person and work of Jesus is a son or a daughter of God (Galatians 3:26). 

Nothing more. Nothing less. 

What a privilege to be a child of God, especially when it has nothing to do with our performance and everything to do with Jesus’ performance.

Today, what identity are you living out of? When Satan tempted Jesus to turn stones into bread, to test God by jumping from the temple, and to escape the cross by falling down and worshiping Satan - Jesus clung to what he had heard God say at his baptism, namely, that he was God’s Son with whom God the Father was “well pleased.” 

Jesus lived and ministered out of this very identity as the Son of God. It did not matter what others thought about him or what they expected of him or how they treated him or said all kinds of evil against him. Jesus did not allow those thoughts, opinions, attitudes and words dictate his life. Instead he was secure as the Son of God and lived out of this identity.

Friends, the more we look into our own self and others for approval and acceptance, the more insecure we will become. On the other hand, the more we look to Christ for our righteousness and trust in God’s promises that we are his son or daughterthe more secure we will be.

No comments: